By Ruvimbo Jeche
The lemon fruit is one of the most commonly found fruit in many parts of the country. It is cultivated under varied agro-ecological conditions right from arid and semi-arid areas to humid tropical climate. Lemon cultivation is only plagued mostly by high incidence of pests and diseases warranting great care from planting till the plants come to bearing in order to sustain the productive life of a minimum of 15-20 years.
Drinking fresh lemonade may help clear colds and most importantly enriching yourself with vitamin C that the immune system needs so much. Also, adding fresh lemon to hot tea will help in clearing phlegm when suffering from a cold or cough. Some may opt for boiling it in its shells. This still works in dealing with colds and cough. You can also add fresh lemon to water and juices and enjoy healthy water throughout the day. At vaMuhumeni we recommend starting your day with a cup of warm lemon water before you eat anything. Try this for 30 days and let us know what you think.
We love lemons so much we though we would share a list of some it’s benefits so you can see what we mean.
6 Essential Benefits of Lemon
- It’s great for your heart. Lemons are a great source of vitamin C. The average (medium) sized lemon contains about 30mg, which is about 50% of your recommended daily value of vitamin C. Research has shown that vitamin C can reduce the risk of developing heart disease and stroke.
- Prevention of Kidney Stones. The citric acid in lemons my reduce your risk of developing kidney stones
- Anemia Prevention. While lemons may not be a great source of iron, it is the vitamin c and citric acid which increase your bodys ability to absorb iron from other foods.
- It Promotes Hydration. While water is the best source of hydration, at lot of people do not like the taste of it or lack thereof. Adding lemons to water can help you drink more of it.
- Weight loss. Drinking war-hot lemon water 30 minutes before a meal can promote a feeling of fullness which can help you eat less and help you loose weight. Lemon water may also promotes metabolism which can also contribute to increased weight loss. Drink lemon water with a straw and limit this to a short space of time because the acid in lemons can damage the enamel on your teeth.
- Improves Your Skin. The Vitamin C in lemons may reduce the appearance of wrinkles, increase moisture in your skin so your skin does not appear so dry.
Lemons are packed with nutrients and so many health benefits. Make them a part of your diet if they are not already. Also try out our 30 day lemon water challenge and share your results with us.