By Ruvimbo Jeche
Who is ready for yummy and nutritious meal? Personally, I’m ever ready for okra in any form. Okra belongs to a select group of crops that will produce during extended periods of stressful conditions and is a consistent producer even with hot and dry conditions.There is only one improved variety that is available on the local market and this is the American variety Clemson Spineless. The cooked pods are a very common relish and are consumed with the staple sadza. Okra is highly nutritious with many health benefits. It is Rich in magnesium, folate, fiber, anti-oxidants and vitamin C, K1 and A. Okra may also benefit pregnant women, heart health and blood sugar control. It may also contain anti-cancer properties making it an important consideration for your meals. So how about you try fried okra with “cooking with VaMudhumeni:GHGN”
- Okra pods
- Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- Onions (roughly chopped)
- Chillies (for flavoring)
- Vegetable oil ( 1 tablespoon)
1. Heat oil in medium- high heat.
2. Add sliced okra pods together with a pinch of bicarbonate of soda and fry continually.
3.Reduce heat when okra starts to brown and cook until it is golden brown.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir continually on medium heat.
5. Cook until the desired tenderness is achieved.
*Serve with sadza.
*Happy cooking with vaMudhumeni:GHGN!!