– By Dennis J. Choruma
Growing your own vegetables can be a very fulfilling activity. You don’t even need a big space to grow your own vegetables, you can even grow in containers. Here are five benefits of having a garden and growing your own vegetables!
- Improves health – one of the most important things you and your loved ones can do is to stay healthy. Fresh vegetables are packed with vitamin C and taste way better than store bought vegetables. Studies have shown that fresh vegetables can protect both children and adults against diseases such as heart diseases and some cancers.
- Saves money – Having your own vegetable garden will reduce your grocery bill as you begin to stock your pantry with fresh vegetables from your own garden. You can grow vegetables for a fraction of the cost in the supermarket. In addition, you do not even need a big space to grow enough vegetables. A small backyard or even gardening in containers will give you plenty of vegetables to sustain you!
- Stop worrying about food safety – With recalls on peanut butter, spinach, tomatoes and more, a lot of people are now concerned about the safety of store-bought foods. When you grow your own food, you don’t have to worry about contamination that may occur at the farm, manufacturing plant or transportation process. You can even avoid synthetic pesticides that have been linked to many diseases such as cancers. When you grow your own vegetables, you can trust that your vegetables are safe and healthy to eat.
- Exercise – Gardening is a physical activity and planting, pulling weeds and digging can burn up to 400 calories per hour. Regular exercise has been shown to reduce stress and what better way to reduce stress than to exercise while growing your own fresh and healthy vegetables at the same time. Gardening is also a good mental exercise that can help calm your thoughts and keep your mind sharp.
- Reduce stress – Being outside in the fresh air and sunshine can greatly improve your mood and make you feel happy, reducing the stresses associated with everyday life! Growing your own vegetables also gives you a great sense of accomplishment and pride.
Contact VaMudhumeni at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what types of vegetables you can grow for your area and how you can set up your own very productive backyard garden today!